Sunday, March 09, 2008

Pet Owners


I can't believe how much I hate owning a pet (or 5). March is pet month at school and so Dominick came home and told me that he needed a fish. I was actually quite surprised that he only asked for a fish out of all the possibilities, so Aaron and I decided that a few goldfish would be a good learning experience for the kids.

The pet store experience was not as fun as we were expecting. This, because Dominick made a B-line for the the biggest (and obviously most expensive) fish available. We tried to explain that number one, we are only going to buy a 2 gallon fish tank which will not hold that fish. Number two, for a first pet we should start small and number three (and most importantly) we hate fish. Dominick didn't quite understand - started throwing a crazy hysterical fit about the gigantic fish and had to be taken out. Luckily, little Kambree was left to choose and was perfectly happy with 5 of the cheapest goldfish they had. And there you have it - we are pet owners.

As soon as Dominick saw the the fish in the bag, he was much more happy. For some reason though, he got the idea that it is when the fish die he gets the big fish - not if and how good he can take care of them (you know the whole responsibility thing). Anyway, he also was so funny on the way home, because he was telling Kambree about taking care of them and told her (very excitedly) that when they die then we get to eat them. After laughing, we explained to him that goldfish was not sushi - they go in the toilet. He learned that the next morning, when he ran in to our bedroom to tell us that one of his fish died (this was the highlight of the day - and he told everyone at church). A couple of days later another one died and we are down to three.

Aaron and I are wondering how much longer the little suckers are going to live, because obviously we are taking care of them and neither one of us will succumb to the task of cleaning out he disgusting tank. Anyway, we will keep you posted about the lives of the family pets. The worst part of this experience is that I find myself wanting a dog more than a fish (but all I have to do is walk outside and see all of the dog poop left by our neighbors dogs and I quickly forget).

Did I mention we hate fish?

1 Comments:

Blogger Hillary said...

I couldn't agree more! I am not a big fish fan either. Steve was putting off cleaning our fish tank and I think this is because he was hoping I was going to do it, but I wasn't going to give in. Our agreement to get a fish was that he was in charge of cleaning the tank-NOT me...so I understand your hesitation to clean it out-EEW!!!!
Good luck!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home